Saturday, June 27, 2009

Back from the beach



We're back! We're definitely rested now after a week in the Outer Banks.

What a treat to be able to spend time with Amah, Akong, Grandma, and Grandpa.





For the first time, Ezekiel and Elijah also joined us for some R & R.



Funny, we live at the beach. But, there's something about relaxing anywhere but home, without internet access, that makes a vacation truly special.

We stayed at a three-bedroom condo, a timeshare, just off the beach. It was basically two apartments connected by a door. Doors surrounded this place, doors that lead to outside patios, doors that lead to the other living quarters, doors to the stairs. Michael, especially, enjoyed our new, temporary digs. Every time I thought he was watching television or doing something with Jason, I would hear footsteps outside and Michael screaming, “AAAH! I'm outside. AAH! I'm inside." Then the pitter-patter of little feet.

One night, Michael proved to us that he is truly mesmerized by beach living. He said he really enjoyed this “house.” He went on and looked up at us in that way only he has. Those big brown eyes were bigger than normal.

"I really love this house," he said. "I want to build one just like this, but I'll make it taller than Heaven.”



He's special, that one. Over the last few months, we've really noticed Michael is turning into the ultimate helper.

He even helped me paint my toes.

Michael was the perfect person to help me with my task. He held the bottle so steadily while I added color to my nails.

I finished up, capped the bottle and put it on the table. I thought we were done.

Two minutes later, I looked up and Michael had a spot right under his nose.

“Where did that come from, Michael?”

He said, so earnestly, "I wanted to see what the nail polish smells like."

And now, everyone who sees him will know I love the color red.



Jason also does things to make us step back a bit. The words that come tumbling out of his mouth make us realize he really is always thinking.

He and Michael were horsing around one morning while I was still asleep.

Doug tried to quiet them down.
"Jason, Mommy is asleep. Be quiet."

That didn't work, so he continued.

"BE QUIET! Mommy is sleeping."

Jason quieted down to ask this: "Well, Daddy, if you want us to be quiet, why are YOU yelling?"



There are more stories to come....can't forget about the baby's adventures at the beach!

No comments: