Saturday, November 14, 2009

A boy and his blanket

For the most part, we missed the "terrible two's" with Jason and Michael. Do not think we went unscathed, though. The "terrible three's" threw us for a loop with first Jason, and then, much to our dismay, with Michael. And, with Michael, sometimes we still feel like he's three!



Since everything has been turned around with Baby Joshua, it stands to reason that he wouldn't follow in his brother's footsteps.

Yup. At 18 months old, Joshua looks like he's hurtling toward the "terrible two's." Already! He is delightful still, but when he's feeling his age, watch out!

We've already learned what calms him down. The blanket that Grandma and Grandpa got him when he was born. Just in the last few months, we have found he cannot be separated from his small blue blanket with little satin tabs on the sides. If I misplace it, I know I am doomed. But when I produce it, for example, when I am laying Joshua down for a nap, I get the most delightful giggles of joy from our #3. He cannot find happiness without this square of fabric right now!

The other thing that calms him down is my phone. If you receive a phone call from us with heavy breathing on the other end, I apologize. It is our baby. He has made phone calls, he has accessed the internet, he has tried to text message. And you know what? I let him. Until he gets through to a real-life international operator, I will likely leave my high-tech phone within his reach. The alternative is ear-splitting.

No comments: