Thursday, July 09, 2009

High notes

Thank goodness for iTunes.

It introduces our musical tastes to our children, which, depending on whom you ask, might not be the greatest thing. In any case, you could say our iPod is filled with an eclectic mix...from opera, to country, to hip hop, to pop, to rock.

My playlist consists of some sappy love songs as well as songs that make me cry. Isn't country music great?

So, at the top is "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith. It's a song that came out while Doug and I were living apart, he in Chattanooga, me in Richmond. Every time it comes on, it reminds us of that period of our lives. I shared the story with the kids. They seemed remotely interested. Michael even asked, "So, Mommy, why did you want to be together?"



Can you tell I'm still pining for some fun in the sun?



In any case, we really have had a great week so far. The weather has been mild, the children, for some reason, all delightful. I suppose it's because the older boys are having such a blast at summer camp. Who knew? We're waiting for growing pains, teething issues, etc., but, so far, so good.

It is so important to me that we have dinner together, even if it tends to be on the late side due to Doug's schedule. I do believe it pays off. And our dinnertime conversation always makes us smile.

I played the Aerosmith song during our meal last night. Then I asked the boys why I liked it so much. Yes, I was testing them.

They both answered, in unison, kind of like robots. "Because you and Daddy lived apart. It reminds you of it."

So, this time, it was Jason who asked, "Why did you want to live together?"

And Doug took this one.

"Because we love each other and we wanted to get married and live together. We were sad that we couldn't be together back then."

Jason, bless his heart, said, "I'm confused."

Don't worry, ladies. I've got many years to help him become a romantic.

No comments: